Monday 7 January 2008

Movies

Something I was going to write in the last post, but forgot. (That doesn't sound anything like me does it?)

"I miss you more than Michael Bay missed the point
when he made 'Pearl Harbor'."

So was sung in a lament in 'Team America: World Police'. Sadly I now know what that means.
This 4-hour turd was squeezed out over two consecutive nights on TV here recently. The upside of this is that I completely missed the first night's screening, which meant when the bombing started in the first minutes of the second night's screening, I knew I had missed out on two hours of... well, probably nothing important. Apparently there was something about a love triangle in there that has nothing to do with the Japs, planes, ships and bombs which (call me simple) would appear to be the most important ingredients to this story.

"I need you like Ben Affleck needs acting school
he was terrible in that film."

Again, an accurate summary. The 'acting' consisted largely of Affleck grimacing and shouting. With Bay directing, I think actors are probably superfluous anyway (they get in the way of all the explosions - ref: Bad Boys, Armageddon, Transformers...).

The summary concluded that a high risk invasion revenge bombing raid on Tokyo was the "turning point" in the war, and the start of the ascendency of the US over Japan. Hmm.

Last night's movie made up for it - Pink Floyd The Wall. Though I still have no idea what it's about (should probably have paid a bit more attention).
I think I need to see this again in a theatre with a good sound system. Hmm, wonder when it's on at The Astor?

No comments: