Thursday 2 August 2007

Cars - Part 2

As you probably know, I sold my little red car in February before we left Australia. So it was pretty unexpected to receive (last month) a rego renewal notice in the mail. Given that the new owner re-registered the car in NSW I was suprised to find it still in my name. Luckily I had some contact details for the him, and he said he'd look into it and sort it out.

But apparently that wasn't enough. This week I had a letter from the Sydney M2 tollway operators telling me that I had an unpaid toll journey to my name, and could I please pay it and the processing fee? This was pretty impressive given that I sold the car months ago, the new owner had new plates on it, and I wasn't even in the country at that time.

I would have loved to pull out the title transfer receipt to say that I wasn't responsible, but it's buried somewhere in a filing cabinet in the back of an overcrowded bedroom at the parents' farm. In Australia. From somewhere I managed to dig up the new owner's phone number, and we tried to figure out what was going on. Seems that VicRoads were holding up the title transfer whilst waiting for the plates to be surrendered (which he'd done and has a receipt to prove it). Certainly it didn't hold up the NSW RTA in issuing him with new plates...

I don't know whose car was photographed travelling through North Ryde on 29 June, nor if it had my old plates on it, but it certainly wasn't me.

No comments: